We have developed our own traceroute program, for a more accurate analysis three protocols will be simultaneously used: TCP(port 80), UDP, ICMP. It is the most practical option, because some routers do not respond to ICMP, the other - to UDP.
Visual display of the distance clearly shows the transitions between the hops. Moreover, you can see the AS path and the slow routers.
Examples of possible applications:
- analyse the availability of your networks/servers all over the world;
- test the paths and load on selected network segments;
- choose the right hoster: how well it is located for your purposes;
- test the honesty of your hoster/provider, to whom it is connected and what are its uplinks;
- in case of unavailability of the server you can determine, whether the server or the channel of the provider is down and in what place;
- all results are saved, you can share them with anyone through "Permanent link to these results"; - etc..