Flags of users and proxy detector in geolocation mod for Invision Power Board (IPB)
The main mod functions:
- displays the country and flag of user. It is based on API and real geographical (and not invented) data of users;
- Proxy-, VPN-, TOR autodetector, that helps against spam and hooliganism.
The flag can be displayed:
- on the main page of the forum, in the "Board Statistics";
- in the list "Online Users" (also determined for guests);
- in the members profile;
- in the list of all members;
- in posts: in a profile and near the IP address (for moderators).
Features of the mod:
- caching of API-requests for each session, that allows to reduce significantly the number of requests to the database;
- API-requests for IP addresses of search bots will not be calculated;
- mod works with IPB versions 2.1.x, 2.2.x, 2.3.x;
- country in user's profile is defined by registration and in the future will not be changed, if a certain option is not chosen (so the country in the profile will be always actual);
- for moderators the actual country will be recorded in each post, near the IP address;
- the countries names are available in English, Russian, German and Spanish in encodings: UTF-8, ISO-8859-1, WINDOWS-1251, KOI8-R;
- auto hide the posts written through a Proxy, TOR, Hosting and VPN (the feature can be changed in settings);
- sorting of members by country.
- Choice between "Country code" and "Service code" (will be available later);
- auto hiding of posts;
- actualisation of the user's profile;
- possibility to show the flag anywhere in the forum to certain groups.
Download geolocation mod and installation instruction:
A script is in mod available to determine the countries of already registered users and the previous posts, it is also possible (ipbgeo_update.php) to download separately. (new version 1.5, 12.Dec.08)
The function "service code" (for proxy detector) will also be available later.
All updates and news about the geolocation mod are in the comments to this article, so you can subscribe to comments(RSS) to be well informed.